The following strengths, when taken together, will improve student learning and achievement, increase learning opportunities for all students including those who are at risk of academic failure; encourage the use of innovative teaching methods school-wide, not in isolated classrooms only; create new professional opportunities for teachers and staff, provide opportunities for parents and the community; and lastly provide a method to change from rule-based to performance based accountability systems. The following strengths comprise the uniqueness of the Pinnacle Charter School and will enable Pinnacle to "close the gap" in student performance:
- Using the Coalition of Essential Schools model with a communication focus and integrated thematic instruction allowing for deeper understanding of core disciplines
- Utilizing communication as its theme, which allows The Pinnacle School to use a seamless model integrating all Common Core Learning Standards using effective instructional strategies, current technological advances and future innovations; and
- Allowing for greater parental involvement in the school through Family Council, the School Compact and other approaches.
- Recruit strong teachers and leaders and provide them with extensive professional development and support to implement the school's design and principles (smaller class size, looping), while also holding them accountable for student achievement.
- Using multiple measures to ensure that students are meeting and then exceeding all standards as well as school-based demonstrations of mastery. Data-informed instruction will join comprehensive planning and on-going self-assessment as tools for continuous improvement.
- Providing every child the assistance and time needed to succeed by extending the school day and year so that students are engaged for longer periods of time and have the varied opportunities to engage in Academic Interventional Services and Intramural activities
The educational program at the Pinnacle Charter School will provide a number of professional opportunities for teachers, school administrators and other school personnel as outlined below:
- The educational program also provides a unique opportunity for continuity through the Charter Schools year round schedule. This will help to decrease time devoted to review and increase time for uncovering new knowledge with students.
- The Charter School's commitment to the Coalition of Essential School's philosophy will guarantee class sizes limited to a 20:1 student teacher ratio. This will enable teachers to better serve each student individually and provide opportunities to identify difficulties that students may be experiencing which might go unnoticed in classes with a larger number of students. Furthermore, this smaller class size will enable teachers to utilize instructional strategies that might be unrealistic with larger numbers of students
- Because the extended academic periods will utilize cross grade level grouping, teachers will have the opportunity to interact with students of a variety of grade levels. This will also allow teachers the opportunity to see how their own students interact with other teachers and students of varying ages.
There will be increased opportunities for participation in extended team planning due to the longer length of the school day, from 8:30 - 4:00.